Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Kale (aka: Super Potatoes)

Ah Kale!  That leafy green we know we need to eat more of but can't figure out how.  I'm not talking about you people who eat a massaged kale salad for lunch daily.  (psst..you people are weird/I wish I was more like you).  I will make a confession, that I have enjoyed the odd kale salad, but I must say my jaw ached for days afterward.  Way. To. Much. Chewing. Involved.  

I like kale.  My body likes kale.  My waistline likes kale.  My jaw?  Not so much.  
 
Kale is a tough vegetable when raw.  I prefer my kale sauteed and steam cooked.  But you know how I really like my kale?  In sweet potatoes!

 
These stuffed sweet potatoes make a fabulous meal.  The kale is sauteed with some garlic--leaving just the perfect amount of chewy deliciousness.  Not only do the chickpeas add a nice dose of protein, they are iron rich.


This is a perfect meal for small children and adults alike.  Chickpeas, kale, and sweet potatoes are all considered super foods.  In fact they are all on this list of 10 best foods.  3 out of 10 ain't bad.  Plus, sweet potatoes are well know to be loved by babies.  Toddlers love them too--many parents just stop feeding them to children past the pureed food stage--and that's a shame.

So go on, do yourself, your family, and the earth a favor and make this delicious meatless meal tonight!

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Kale 

Serves 6
Ingredients:
4 medium sweet potatoes 
1 tbs. olive oil
1 bunch of kale, ribs removed and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cup chickpeas, smashed with a fork
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Wash the sweet potatoes well and prick with a fork.  Microwave until tender, about 4-6 minutes depending on size and power of microwave.  Set aside to cool.
3.  Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the olive oil.  Saute the kale in olive oil for a few minutes until tender.  Add garlic and saute about 30 seconds.  Turn off heat and cover with lid to allow kale to steam cook slightly.   
4.  Cut the sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl,  making sure to leave enough so the skin stays somewhat firm.  Add the kale, chickpeas, 2/3 cup cheese and salt and pepper.   Mix well.
5.  Add filling to potato skins.  Top with the remaining cheese.  Bake until heated through, 10-15 minutes.  
6.  Enjoy

recipe adapted from: a couple cooks


What the husband thinks: He'll eat them with ketchup.  I admit to getting irritated with him for it.  The man is just not a sweet potato fan.  But that's not going to keep me from eating them.  

What the kid ate:  AN ENTIRE SWEET POTATO!  He has always loved sweet potatoes.  I think he gets a little irritated with these.  "Why do you keep putting these green things in my favorite food?" he says with his eyes.  But, he can't resist the appeal of sweet potatoes and the bonus of cheese. 

Can I reiterate how fabulous these are?  Super healthy and delicious to boot!  I usually just serve these as a meal in itself but it would be great with a nice green salad on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment