Monday, July 2, 2012

Superfood Salad


I like to think I don't follow trends.  In 4th grade I thought those flared pants coming back in style were just horrid and that they'd never last.  The first time I tried Greek yogurt I didn't really "get it."  And when blogging first became the "in" thing, I thought it was dumb.  

Truth be told, and I'm a little ashamed to admit it, I do follow trends, albeit on a bit of a delayed schedule, but there it is.  I only buy flared jeans ("skinny jeans are horrid and will never last").  Greek yogurt is THE BOMB.  And here I am, starting a food blog. 

But quinoa...I tell you, I liked quinoa from the first time I tried it.  I remember when I initially heard about the strange sounding grain/seed from a good college friend.  She said it was amazing and that she and her husband really enjoyed it.  That it was a superfood and the only grain considered a complete protein.  I was intrigued, although a tad skeptical.


She was right though, quinoa is amazing.  It is extremely versatile, delicious and healthy.  You can use it in place of white rice in many recipes.  It cooks the same way white rice does.  It's a great way to get a complete protein in your diet if you are a vegetarian or eat meatless several days a week as we do.  

Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 cup water
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 small oranges, peeled and segments chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 1/2 cups black beans (or 1 can rinsed and drained)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
salt & pepper
For the Vinaigrette:
3 tbs lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 tsp sugar or honey
salt & pepper
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
1. Rinse the quinoa well.  Add to small saucepan with water.  Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until all the water is absorbed.  Set aside to cool
       note: I never think far enough ahead so I spread the cooked quinoa on a plate and pop it in the   
                freezer for about 10 minutes to cool slightly.
2. For the Vinaigrette: combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl and whisk in the oil.
3. Combine cooled quinoa with red onion, orange segments, avocado, beans, corn, and cilantro. Pour Lemon Vinaigrette over the salad and stir to combine. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.  Serve cold or at room temperature.

recipe adapted from: Iowa Girl Eats 

He wasn't interested in the salad until mommy got the camera out.

This salad makes a light, refreshing meal for summer.  Throw on some leftover grilled chicken and it makes a great meal for the meat eater as well.  This is one trend I can really get behind.

What the husband thinks: He really likes it and has requested it on multiple occasions to bring to potlucks.

What the toddler ate: He took a bite--which is progress.  He ate steamed carrots instead.  I guess that's not a bad alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment