Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins


I have a mild obsession with pumpkin.

There, I admit it.

I see anything "pumpkin" and I must have it.


I think that is why I love fall so much.


Growing up, my grandmother made the BEST pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  She still does.  She keeps #10 cans of them in her freezer.  They are wonderful straight from the fridge.  Perhaps that is why I love pumpkin...anything...as much as I do.  It's just part of me reaching for those childhood days, standing on a kitchen chair next to my grandma in front of her white mixing machine.  She used to let me pour the ingredients through the hole in the top.  I loved watching the ingredients swirl around as the mixer hummed and groaned.

Add "eating grandma's pumpkin chocolate chip cookies" to the list of things I miss about living near family.

*sigh*

These muffins are a wonderful way to start off any autumn morning.  Warm and hearty with gooey chocolate chips...YUM!  Filled with whole grains and wonderfully healthy pumpkin they make a not-entirely-unhealthy breakfast as well.  I think I'm going to make a new tradition involving these very muffins.  Eating them on the first Sunday in October...and the second...and the third...

 

Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins 
a balancing the table original
makes 12 muffins 

Ingredients:
1  cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large eggs, beaten
3 tbs oil
3 tbs applesauce
1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice salt, oats and brown sugar.
3. In a medium bowl, combine egg, oil, applesauce, pumpkin and milk.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moist, do not overmix. Distribute batter between 12 greased muffin tins,  Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffins comes our clean.




 What the husband thinks:  He didn't ever mention.  He was too busy gobbling these up.

What the kid ate:  See for yourself:

 
 

3 comments:

  1. Your muffins turned out great, thanks for the recipe, family loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great. Another thing I'm just going to have to try.

    ReplyDelete