Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Caramel Apple Muffins


Ah, Fall!


It's here.  The evenings are lovely and cool and the days are bearable.

We've been going to the park a lot more.  We spend time after dinner in the yard.  And it's getting to be jacket weather.  I love jacket weather.  Not only is the kid adorable in a hoodie but I love wearing jackets.  They cover-up unattractive...bulges. I start wearing jackets the first chance I get.  


These muffins certainly won't help with my bulge problem.  I guess they could be worse.  But the concept I have difficulty with is quantity not quality.  I'm working on it...slowly.  Maybe I'll work on it harder after I eat this last muffin...

With apples inside and on top and drizzled with a caramel sauce these muffins taste like fall.  I can't wait to start baking more as the weather cools.  I love autumn.  It is, without a doubt, my favorite season.  And these muffins just make it that much better.

Caramel Apple Muffins
makes 12
Adapted from Baking Made Simple

Ingredients:
2 apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

caramel topping
2 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan. 
2. core and grate on of the apples.  Slice the other apple into 1/4 inch thick wedges and toss with the lemon juice.  Sift together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Stir in the sugar and grated apple.  
3. Melt the butter and combine with the milk and egg.  Stir into dry ingredients until just combined.  Do not overmix.
4.  Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan.  Arrange two apple slices on top of each muffin.
5.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until risen and golden brown.  Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6.  Prepare the caramel topping by placing all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.  Increase the heat and boil rapidly for 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened and syrupy.  Cool slightly, then drizzle over the muffins and allow to set before enjoying.

 
What the husband thinks:  That these are really good.  He doesn't get as sentimental as I do about food however so he didn't insist on how fall-like these are.  Oh well.

What the kid ate:  Do you really have to ask?  It's sweet.  Oh course he ate one and enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment