Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream

One of my sisters came to Alabama for a visit.  She and I are very close, but very different people.  One of the funniest differences is our treatment of hair ties.  You see, I can have two hair ties last me 1-2 years.  It takes being overstretched and broken several times for me to finally toss them and venture to the store to buy some more.  My sister, on the other hand, must buy them in bulk every few months.  Mauve elastic hair ties are scattered around my house.  


Now it could be the fact that I rarely wear my hair up, or it could be the fact that my sister is the mother of two rambunctious girls that causes this difference.  All I know is that I'm set for several years in the hair tie department now.


I had a blast with her visiting.  We explored the area more than we would have without someone to see it with.  Reed LOVED his 5 year old cousin that my sister brought along--she tolerated him.  I really enjoyed having the little girl as well.  Though she didn't quite "get" the excitement of being so far from home.  I tried to make it an exciting trip for her by having some special treats around: Reese's Puff's, cheez-it's...and ice cream.  

Soon before they were leaving I offered her some ice cream.  Do you know what she said?  She said "no."  Imagine that.  A five year old saying no to "cassert" (her way of saying dessert).  My sister was as surprised as I was.  

I don't think I've ever said no to ice cream...or dessert for that matter.  

This ice cream combines three of my favorite things: ice cream, chocolate, and the color red.  I'm pretty sure red velvet cake is the most awesome cake there is.  Chocolate cake dyed red!  What could be better?  Oh yeah, I already told you...this ice cream.  

Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream
makes 1 quart
a balancing the table original

Ingredients:
2 cups half and half
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup milk
4 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup red velvet cake mix
1/2 cup sugar

Directions:
1. Heat the half and half over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
2. In a bowl, combine the egg yolks, cornstarch and milk.
3. When half and half starts to simmer, slowly add to the milk mixture.  Return to pan and cook until the mixture starts to thicken, stirring constantly.  Do not let it boil.
4.  Once mixture is thickened, remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese until it is mostly melted.  Add the cake mix and sugar, stir until well combined.
5.  Refrigerate mixture until chilled.  At least 2-3 hours. 
6.  Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.  

Note: if you don't have an ice cream maker look here for tips on how to make ice cream without a machine.  But, I vote you get an ice cream maker.  I have this one which I got for less than $30 dollars on sale.  Think about it.

What the husband thinks:  He thought it was pretty good.  I don't think he is as passionate about red and chocolate as I am though.

What the kid ate:  All the ice cream I would give him.  Which wasn't much.  He gets pretty excited when he sees the ice cream maker because he knows I'll give him a few bites.  Of course that means 20-30 minutes of signing "more, more, more" constantly. 

1 comment:

  1. Finally an unhealthy recipe to let us know you're as weak as the rest of us when it comes to treats! This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete