Saturday, August 11, 2012

Healthy Coconut-Banana "Fudge"

Some days you just need chocolate. 

You know what I mean.  The kids are fussy, you are fussy, the house and your hair are a mess.  When I have days like this all I can think about is chocolate.

Yes, I have a problem.

So I usually keep a stash of chocolate around (shh...don't tell the husband). Chocolate is the reason I workout as much as I do.  But it is so worth it.  Chocolate....yum.


 I read a lot about theories of healthy eating.  I've read a lot about eliminating processed sugar entirely from your diet.  People claim numerous benefits from such a strategy.  But the thing is, for me, sweets make life worth living.  So I'm not giving them up anytime soon. 


But this fudge is a step in the right direction.  Sweetened with bananas and honey and fattened with--what is gaining recognition as being surprisingly healthy--coconut.  It is very different from traditional fudge but it packs a chocolate punch.

This fudge should be stored in the freezer as is softens to a mousse-like consistency when thawed. That's okay though, because the husband doesn't think to look for my stash in the freezer.  Mwah ha ha!



Healthy Coconut-Banana "Fudge"
adapted from: Cookie and Kate

Ingredients:
1/2 cup packed shredded coconut
2 tablespoon peanut butter
2 small ripe bananas
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt

Directions:
1. In the bowl of a small food processor or blender, pulse the coconut until finely shredded.  This should take several minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.  
2.  Pour mixture into a small resealable container.  Freeze fudge until firm, about 2 hours.  

*slice as you eat the fudge.  Eat within 2 weeks--although if you are like me that won't be a problem.

What the husband thinks:  He takes exception to calling it fudge.  He believes it creates a certain expectation that is not met.  He didn't think it was bad though.  I admit that I'm not overly concerned by his lack of enthusiasm for this particular recipe...more for me.

What the kid ate: Something else.  I haven't shared any with him.  It's MINE!

3 comments:

  1. I hope the husband doesn't read this blog or you are in trouble

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! Similar to no-bake cookies, only healthier. And my husband is allergic to coconut, so even if he finds it in the freezer, it's all for me! haha

    ReplyDelete