Saturday, July 14, 2012

Grilled Sweet Potatoes

I wasn't going to have a picky eater.  It just wasn't going to happen.  I suppose it was mostly ignorance, but I truly believed that picky eaters were the result of parents themselves.  I no longer believe that.  It might still be true, but that would mean I'm to blame for my child's pickyness...ergo, I no longer believe that.


The kid's favorite food is sweet potatoes.  High in phyto-nutrients and vitamins A and C, it's a favorite I try to encourage.  Of course, it's one of the only things he'll eat.  During the cooler months I cut sweet potatoes into fry shapes, toss them with some oil and cinnamon and bake them at around 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  It was my go to food for him when I knew he wouldn't eat what I made, or when we were going out to dinner.  Sweet potatoes guarantee a happy kid and a full belly.



Unfortunately summer is in high swing and baking sweet potatoes is no longer an option.  The kid's current back up food is steamed carrots--which he'll usually eat (okay, sometimes I need to fool him by sprinkling them with bread crumbs...shhh.)  But we've been missing the old faithful of sweet potatoes...until now. 

Sweet Potatoes cook up quickly and easily on the grill.  Sprinkled with cinnamon they make a great food for babies or toddlers.  For adults?  A little chili powder or seasoning salt makes them perfect for dipping in ketchup and serving with burgers.  A much more nutrient dense alternative to fries. 

Grilled Sweet Potatoes
serves 2 as a side (or 1 very hungry toddler)

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato, cut in 1/3 inch slices
1 tbs. olive oil
1/4 tsp. cinnamon or preferred seasoning*

Directions:
1. Preheat grill to medium (see here for tips on gauging temperature on a charcoal grill)
2. In a medium bowl, toss the sweet potato rounds with the olive oil.  Sprinkle on preferred seasoning and toss to coat.
3. Grill 3-4 minutes per side until fork tender.
4. Serve and enjoy.

*instead of cinnamon try 1/4-1/2 tsp chili powder with salt to taste or seasoning salt to taste.


What the husband thinks:  He's never actually tried them.  He's not a big sweet potato fan and I mostly just make them for the kid and steal a few bites for myself (tee hee).

What the kid ate: Lots and lots of sweet potatoes.  He eats these almost every time we grill, which he doesn't mind.  Sometime he looks as me like, "Why do you even bother feeding me anything else?"  Balance kid, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment